Sunday, April 16, 2006

Activists Unite!

On Saturday's march for immigrant rights I had the pleasure of finally meeting Bob Morris (that's Bob on the right, me on the left). Bob is a fellow blogger at Politics in the Zeros
and a local activist and organizer with the A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) coalition, which has been behind just about all of the huge protests we've see in Los Angeles as well as other events in the Southern California area. It was a real treat to finally meet Bob.

The rally was great. I started out the day with the strategic purchase of a Nicaraguan flag (I'm holding it in the picture with Bob). A number of people were confused as to what flag I was holding (it looks very similar to El Salvador's flag), but I had a few Nicaraguans come up to me and thank me for carrying their flag. Nativists need not whine, American flags clearly outnumbered any other flag.

After meeting Bob, I got to work handing out placards for the march. I tried like hell to get the suggested $1 to 2$ donation but that can be difficult when confronted with the ferocious puppy-dog eyes of a little boy. Most people were more than willing to donate for the placards.

It seemed like the march got started late. I didn't look at a watch so I'm not sure about this one, only that it seemed late. It was a wonderful march with people of all ages joining in the fun.


| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Protesting and Protesting some more
  • At least the Iraq War still functions as a Bush dy...
  • General distress
  • More general dissent
  • Yo! Is everyone prepared for this? The "cakewalk...
  • I Want More For My Money
  • Generals to public: We're innocent!
  • Who's in charge in Iran?
  • Confronting Iran and the Iran war hawks
  • (Ex-) Generals vs. Rummy

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com