«Home


Sunday, June 12, 2005

Aspirations for a Blue Voice

Welcome to The Blue Voice. I am one voice here, among eight friends whose voices will be heard in this space. I want to give you some idea what to expect from me.

I am no fan of George W Bush. In fact, I despise him and his radical religious right-wing base of support. I lament the assault on the separation of church and state under this President, and the way in which the GOP has become an extension of one religious group. I condemn the President's stolen 2000 election, his unwise economic policies, his unfair tax policies, and his unjust Iraq War. I am appalled by the abrogation of the Geneva Convention and the abuse of prisoners in our custody, enabled if not sanctioned by the President, his Attorney General, and the Secretary of Defense.

Mostly, I worry that his leadership and policies are setting the foundation for a very dark future.

The President has made a lot of noise about Social Security, and although he has failed to sell his privatization scheme to an increasingly skeptical nation, he has succeeded in reminding Americans to think about the future. Clearly he has played fast and loose with the truth in making his pitch, but this is par for his course, and in no way detracts from the potential benefits of a more forward-looking America.

I intend to write here in The Blue Voice about the future. About where we are headed as a nation. About where we ought to go. And how we ought to get there.

I am a Democrat, more because of my opposition to the Republicans than for any other reason. I am a father and an accountant and I could be your neighbor, or your co-worker, or someone you know through my years as a volunteer in Boy Scouting.

I have kids, and like any parent I am concerned about their future. I have values that are important to me -- values that many Americans share -- freedom, fairness, equality, compassion and responsibility. I reject the argument that Republicans have better "values", but I embrace the premise that values matter.

Much of what I write here will be as much about values as about policies. legislation, or Executive actions. Because when we look to the future of America, how we get there is as important as where we want to go.

Neil

posted at 10:12:00 PM by Neil

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS


    ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com