Thursday, July 07, 2005

Times Like These

On a day like today, it would be really useful to have some of that Christian faith, or any faith for that matter. What can you do in the middle of of a day like today, but pray for the victims, pray for their families? If I were a person of faith I would be doing just that, and maybe also offering up a few prayers for sanity in a dangerous world.

This morning, A. woke me up at about 7, worried out of her mind, because my niece lives in London and my nephew is there this summer doing an internship, and their parents, my sister and brother in law just sent me their itinerary for London yesterday, and we couldn't quite remember if they were leaving today, or this weekend. Don't worry, everyone is safe, by now my niece and nephew are in the pubs, waiting for the rush hour to be over, so that they can walk to the above ground train station to get home. If I were a person who prayed, I would be thanking any or all gods for keeping my family safe. I am not a person who prays, so instead I worry, and I mourn.

My sister and brother-in-law are leaving tomorrow for London, now more than ever anxious to see the kids. This morning I was on the phone to my sister telling her to bring them home, but my guess is that she won't be able to convince them to come . You can't keep your kids with you forever, at some point they will go out into the world. Truly, we all at some point will venture out, if we are not there already. We don't really live in New York or London, Madrid or New Delhi, we in fact, live in the world. A world that our children will live in, work in, and raise families in. I would like to be able to count on something besides prayers to keep them safe.

posted at 2:25:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Equal Sacrifice
  • The London bombings
  • Gay Parenting vs Xtian Parenting
  • Fundamentalists and history
  • Let Justice Prevail
  • Right Whale Babies Booming!
  • VDH Watch 4: VDH prepares his stab-in-the-back the...
  • Blue's News
  • United Church of Christ takes a HUGE Step Forward
  • Endangered Species Act - Part II

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com