Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A very good sign

This is one of the most encouraging things I've heard from Barack Obama, Obama would ask his AG to "immediately review" potential of crimes in Bush White House by Will Bunch Philadelphia Daily News blog 04/14/08. I've been concerned that Barack's repeated desire to achieve a post-partisan status and join hands with the Republicans might lead him as President to take the approach Jerry Ford took to Watergate, i.e., try to sweep everything under the rug. Here is Bunch's quote from Obama on the topic:

What I would want to do is to have my Justice Department and my Attorney General immediately review the information that's already there and to find out are there inquiries that need to be pursued. I can't prejudge that because we don't have access to all the material right now. I think that you are right, if crimes have been committed, they should be investigated. You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve.

So this is an area where I would want to exercise judgment - I would want to find out directly from my Attorney General - having pursued, having looked at what's out there right now - are there possibilities of genuine crimes as opposed to really bad policies. And I think it's important - one of the things we've got to figure out in our political culture generally is distinguishing betyween really dumb policies and policies that rise to the level of criminal activity. You know, I often get questions about impeachment at town hall meetings and I've said that is not something I think would be fruitful to pursue because I think that impeachment is something that should be reserved for exceptional circumstances. [!!?!] Now, if I found out that there were high officials who knowingly, consciously broke existing laws, engaged in coverups of those crimes with knowledge forefront, then I think a basic principle of our Constitution is nobody above the law - and I think that's roughly how I would look at it. (my emphasis)
It's not ideal. Any prosecution of Cheneygate crimes will be attacked by the Republicans as vicious partisanship. And the implication that he doesn't at this point see the administration's crimes as "exceptional circumstances" is an unpleasant jaw-dropped. But I'm glad to see Obama taking the position he outlines here. I hope he goes much further in that direction.

Tags: ,

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • If You Have Some Time To Waste, Try This
  • Food Crisis Abroad and at Home
  • Rummy, 5 years ago
  • World In Crisis
  • Obama Clip on Religion and The Environment
  • Spain's Defense Minister reviews the troops
  • Hillary's Choice
  • Which is more ridiculous?
  • Patrick Cockburn on Muqtada al-Sadr
  • The Heart of America

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com