Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Jesus Ink Blot Test

When I was in Catholic school, it must have been like 2nd grade, the nuns one day presented a page to the class, which was a bunch of spilled ink on a white paper. We were supposed to find the image of Jesus in the middle of the mess. One by one, my classmates found Jesus, but as hard as I tried, I just couldn't see him. I finally gave into pressure, and squinted really hard, and lied my ass off when I exclaimed, "Oh! There He is!" I felt really bad about not being able to find the Lord, and felt even worse about being different from everyone else. Today, I wonder if the other kids were lying too, and the nuns knew that there was no Jesus in the ink blot. I mean how can you trust nuns? They were the ones who told us you could get pregnant from holding hands with a boy, and they never protected children from the odious Catholic priests.


As a liberal today, I am again having that feeling of being different from my peers, even my own fellow bloggers. In the ink blot that is Barack Obama, I wish I could see our savior, and join the rest of the Democrats in my undying adoration of him. Don't get me wrong, I like him. He is the best choice for President today. I am truly happy that we will end the dark period in our history, we will close the chapter on Bush/Cheney, and begin to rebuild our broken country. But I don't see him as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, I think he's a good politician, but doesn't have the ability to change souls. I feel bad that I can't buy into his wonderful aura. Maybe it's because I'm not from California. I'm from Chicago, and in Chicago, the Lightworkers were the guys that read your electric meter, and the Bringer of Light, was Commonwealth Edison. If you didn't pay your electric bill, or you lived in a poor part of town, no Lightworkers were coming to your neighborhood when the power went out.


If you want to view the election as good vs evil, then of course, Obama, and Democrats are good, and John McCain and the Republicans are evil. But I worry about the day that Barack Obama is sworn in as President, and things don't magically change. There are massive problems facing our nation. The war in Iraq will not end in January 2009, and if and when we do pull out there will be some serious problems. Our economy is seriously damaged, and recovery will take decades. With no money to solve any of these problems, the next president will spend the next four years putting out fires, not changing souls. Soul changing, and enlightenment happen in a good and healthy economy, when people are not worried about their next mortgage payment, or the price of bread. I don't want you guys to be like me, barricading yourselves in the basement, with bags of rice and wheat, and cheap wine, but I also don't want you to think that the world will change because of an election. It is going to take some time to recover, and there is no magic wand that will make it all better.


Barack Obama is not Jesus, and we are closer to hell than we are to heaven.

posted at 1:13:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • The sixties: George Kennan vs. the hippies
  • Fare Thee Well
  • Olbermann, Obama and FISA
  • Interesting
  • What a coincidence!
  • Olbermann on FISA and telecom immunity
  • Being "green", circa 1970
  • The harder part of the Iraq War: getting out
  • Further down the e-mail trail...
  • Dead Letter, Lame Duck, Do Nothing Bush

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com