Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Minority Opinion

Everyone is talking about Sarah Palin. Especially the liberals. TBV has put up at least 15 posts about her, and that's just this one blog. Considering that just a few days ago, I was hoping that McCain would pick Joe Lieberman as his running mate, and prompt the Democrats to take the fight personally, and throw as much spare money at Obama and Biden, even if we had to dig around under the couch cushions for loose coins, and also considering that even today, after 3 days of media blitz, I still have to make sure that I can spell her name correctly, I have succumbed to the same disease that inflicts the mainstream media, and I am posting about her! The thing is....while the rest of the liberal blogs are saying that McCain made a huge mistake, I am of the minority opinion that it was a pretty smart move.

These are some of the things I've heard in the last 48 hours.

My mother called me today to wish me a happy birthday, and while she was trying to be nice, she could not help but mention that she was completely enthused about McCain's choice of a running mate. And while I'm sure she was not trying to be mean, (it's my birthday, after all) she knows that I was a Hillary supporter, and she went on and on about how attractive Sarah Palin was on TV the other day, about how Hillary should really get to the gym, she could stand to lose about twenty pounds, and why does Hillary have to wear those awful pantsuits? Why won't she wear a skirt? And didn't I think that Hillary was probably fit to be tied, I mean wasn't she just salivating at the chance to be VP, and here some nobody from Alaska now was going to be elected instead? My blood pressure began to rise as my mother sang the praises of Sarah Palin, so I blurted out, "Mom! My kitchen is on fire! I have to go!" and hung up the phone as quickly as I could.

Okay, I have seen the news clips, Sarah running marathons, Sarah hunting, Sarah shooting firearms, Sarah as Miss Alaska, Sarah playing basketball, Sarah doing all of this amazing shit, and plopping out babies, one right after the other, and making the rest of us normal pudgy women look like we're slackers.

And the guys in my office. These are liberal guys, right? I asked them what they thought of the new Veep nomination, and you know what they said?
"Oh, she's hot!" They were quick to add, "Oh, but she's never going to get Hillary supporters!" Of course not, but might McCain get some of the votes of the Nascar dads who share the opinion of my liberal office mates? and he will certainly get the votes of all of those right wing fundis who were supposed to be staying home for this election.

This is messed up. We were supposed to be basking in the afterglow of the Democratic convention, but now all we can do is bitch about Super Woman, the conservative, anti-environment, gun-shooting, baby breeding, inexperienced bombshell of VP candidate, and even a Cat 5 hurricane that is about to hit New Orleans is not enough to get her off of the front pages of the mainstream news outlets, or even sadly, off of the blogs of the liberals. The Republicans have stolen our thunder, they have changed the conversation from hope, to T&A, and the Democrats are playing right along, talking about someone no one had even considered a week ago.

And here are some other disturbing things that make my blood boil.

There have been significant changes in perception of John McCain in the two days of polling since he named Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Since then, 49% of Republicans voice a Very Favorable opinion of McCain. That’s up six percentage points from 43% just before the announcement. Also, 64% of unaffiliated voters now give positive reviews to McCain, up ten points since naming his running mate

Okay so here's the thing that McCain has done that no one on a liberal blog will admit except for me.

He's got all of the right wing crazies up from under the rock they were under. He's got some of the men in America looking. He has essentially stopped Obama's momentum, and gotten the press to talk about his campaign, even the liberal press, who cannot seem to stop talking about Wonder Woman.

I know I am in the minority, but I think that this is a problem.

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Other reactions to Palin (hint: the press thinks M...
  • MoDo on Sarah Palin
  • Tales From VacationLand
  • Bob McElvaine on Sarah Palin and the Republican tr...
  • Bob McElvaine on the Christianists and the nationa...
  • The Maverick of the Many Houses gets mavericky
  • Palin Reconsidered
  • Sarah Palin's Advise to Hillary Clinton
  • Condescending and Insulting? Gimmicky?
  • One More Thought...

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com