Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Undecided

I'm not sure what to think about the progress(?) that has been made by the Obama Administration so far. I want to be a loyal Democrat, and support my President, but I just can't get my head around the Afghanistan surge, I can't help thinking that it will be a huge and costly mistake. Yes, Obama is smarter than any President we've had in my lifetime, but no one has been able to bring peace or stability to that war torn country, so maybe it isn't possible. And if it is possible, is it worth the cost?

I also don't know what to think of the President's recent decision to bail out the banking industry, but let the auto industry fall into bankruptcy. I know the left is screaming about a double standard, they are making it about class, letting blue collar auto workers wonder about their future, while the Wall Street Bankers cash bonus checks. Between all the screaming on the left and the right, it is difficult to find real information that may tell us that the two scenarios are completely different, and there are sound reasons to let the Midwest go bankrupt, while bailing out Manhattan.

I just don't know enough truth, and I suspect that the rest of the country is in the same sinking boat with me, not knowing what to believe, but wanting to trust Obama to do the right thing. I read Paul Krugman every day, and he is troubled by the choices the Administration is making. The problem is complex, and I wonder, like Paul Krugman if the President is getting the right advice. I mean after all, his economic team didn't exactly sit on the sidelines for the last decade. There were no dire warnings from Tim Geithner or Larry Summers, about the danger of unregulated hedge funds, or wayward derivatives, or unprecedented levels of American debt. The President's current advisers were happily promoting Cowboy Capitalism, with their rich Wall Street friends. They never saw the crisis coming, and so I'm not so sure that these guys are the right guys to set the economy straight.

I want to side with the President, I want to be a loyal Democrat, but I'm not so sure about the economy. And escalating the war in Afghanistan is just not a good decision, it might be the right war, but it's probably a war we can't win.

posted at 3:14:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Obama and the Establishment press, Week 10
  • Do we really have a press corps this bad?
  • Afghanistan War: with war fans like Bobo, the pros...
  • Recent foreign policy developments
  • What is the world coming to...
  • Democracy breaks out, Beltway Village is stunned
  • Waist deep in the Big (Afghan) Muddy?
  • Is nuclear power the salvation of the Earth?
  • Afghanistan War
  • Obama and the Establishment press, Week 9

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com