Monday, March 13, 2006

Book Crossing

Yesterday a friend of mine said how he wished more people read the kinds of books I read. I had just finished telling him about Amy Goodman's book, The Exception to the Rulers, which I'll probably comment on in subsequent posts. His comment got me thinking more and more about bookcrossing.com and what a great source it is for disseminating great books we've read.

If you're not familiar with bookcrossing.com, check out the link above. The basic premise is to make the whole world a library. Bookcrossing is defined as:

the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise
Let me give you an example of just how it works (but I really encourage you all to visit the site and get involved). Say I just finished reading Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival. I'd go to bookcrossing and register the book and they provide me with a tracking number that I then put inside the cover along with the URL to bookcrossing.com and a short message (they also sell labels you can buy) explaining what to do.

Then I set the book free. This can be done in any number of ways. I can pass it along to a friend or a stranger. I can "forget it" at a coffee shop or a school or any place really. And when I leave it somewhere I can let people at bookcrossing know where it is so that if someone is looking for that particular book they can go get it.

I know at least one other Blue Voicer is a member of bookcrossing and I hope others will check it out and get involved. It's a great way to share the books that have inspired you. And what's even better is that you check in to bookcrossing and see what others have thought of the book you release into the world. You can watch that book travel around as others participate in the process. And by helping to disseminate progressive books you help spread information that is critical in a democracy.

Now I'm not telling you to give away every book you own. I'm certainly not going to do that. But if you're anything like me you're always lending books out to people anyway, and I hardly ever seem to get them back as it is. Looking at my bookshelf right now I can only see a few books by Chomsky, though I've bought dozens at least. I pass them along to friends.

Try and remember that there are a lot of people in this country who can't afford to go to the local bookstore everytime they want something new to read. The local library may or may not have the books people are looking for. And with the way the Patriot Act is targeting our reading habits at book stores and libraries, this is a great way to skirt the whole thing. Check it out, let me know what you think. And if you're familiar with bookcrossing, leave a testimonial here so others can get an idea of what it's all about. Thanks.

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Another problem of authoritarian government
  • More on the Marvelous Maverick
  • Choose Courage and Morality
  • Star Wars 2006
  • Think about it...
  • Medical examiner in Florida lynching case gets lic...
  • Marvelous Maverick McCain takes more bold and unco...
  • The civil war in Iraq
  • Interior Department Watch
  • Finding monsters to destroy

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com