Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Roots of a Movement

The Palin story continues to provide a window on the inner thinking of the Republicans and their evangelical base. Here is an excerpt from a National Review piece by Byron York that I found surprising:

“I was a 17 year-old girl, just like Sarah Palin’s daughter, and I had — I was in those shoes. And my son is with me, who will be 35 years old next week, and so I know what a difficult road there is for her.” It wasn’t a choice for me; it wasn’t in my heart to do that. So when I heard the news this morning, it struck close to home for me.” [Note: York is quoting Sue Sharkey, RNC Delegate from Colorado]

[snip]

Earlier in the day, just after I heard the news, I called Marlys Popma, the well-known Iowa evangelical leader who is now the head of evangelical outreach for the McCain campaign. Like Sue Sharkey from Colorado, Popma had a story to tell. It turns out she had had a child out of wedlock nearly 30 years ago, and it changed her life. “It was my crisis pregnancy that brought me into the movement,” Popma told me.

[snip]

“There hasn’t been one evangelical family that hasn’t gone through some sort of situation. Many of us are in this movement because of something that has happened in our lives.”
Questions abound: Have the Republicans found a way to transform unwed mothers into movement conservatives? Why do women who choose not to have an abortion feel so driven to deny others a choice in their lives? With two wars, a recession, and global climate change at stake, how does abortion continue to drive Republican politics?

Technorati Tags:

posted at 11:15:00 AM by Neil

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Bob McElvaine: is McCain a "maverick" or just reck...
  • The Pro-Life Candidate
  • "He wanted to do Joe or Ridge"
  • Self-Centered Sarah?
  • Not My Hockey Mom
  • Gustaf slowed down the convention but not the repr...
  • Breaking: Amy Goodman Arrested in St. Paul
  • Republicans and Gustaf
  • McCain, Palin and the Christian Right
  • The Minority Opinion

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com