Monday, January 05, 2009

Ignoring the Elephant

I remember a time when I was staunchly pro-Israel, and though I know it wasn't that long ago, today it seems like decades. I don't know anyone today who believes that a solution to this conflict is possible, it seems as if the whole world wants peace, except the two sides directly involved, the only two sides who actually have any influence over the resolution of this war, rejecting peace at every opportunity. And while you can't blame Israel entirely, any reasonable person can see that Israel's response to continued attacks by Hamas is so disproportionate, that it borders on atrocity.

I sometimes get so discouraged by these acts of senseless violence, that I say something stupid like, "We should just let them f-ing kill each other!" But then I remember that it is my tax dollars, $2.3 billion per year, being given to Israel for military spending that enables Israel to kill Palestinian civilians. I know I don't get to say what my tax dollars are spent on, it's not like I am the voice of America. But I'm pretty sure that the elections in November, an overwhelming majority of the citizens who pay taxes, are asking for a change to the policy of enabling atrocity. Which is why I don't understand Barack Obama's silence.

In my experience, silence = death, and this issue is not different.

I am waiting for change like the rest of the country. I have already heard for years that Israel has a right to defend itself. I want to hear that Israel has a right to defend itself, but without my tax dollars.

posted at 5:49:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Obama appointments and the chances for justice
  • Gaza offensive
  • Terrorism then and now
  • The Christian Republican White People's Party
  • Random Thoughts on New Year's Day
  • Happy New Year One And All
  • Shakira's New Year's Eve
  • Aura
  • Gaza offensive continues
  • Israel's current attacks on Gaza

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com