Thursday, September 15, 2005

When the Rapture Comes, Can I Grab Onto Your Shoe?

I was reading a post on my mentor's site, Tomdispatch, when it all became so clear, I grabbed the remote, turned off "Weeds", and logged on to blogger.com. There is no way you can read this post and not become completely unglued. I've always wondered why good Christian Americans would question the proven science of the environment and neglect to care about the life sustaining issues that we all depend on for the future of our children, the future of life as we know it. At first I thought it was just laziness, it's easier to explain away a Category 4 hurricane as god's will, than examine the things that cause the water in the Gulf to warm, making these storms much more deadly and destructive. All of that science doesn't mean jack anyway, because soon Jesus is coming, and all of the good Christians will fly up to heaven and leave the rest of the world, Muslims, Jews, and those horrible gay people to fend for themselves in a world full of toxic waste and disease.

So okay, I guess that means me.

What I really hope for the future of the wondrous planet Earth, is a massive effort to salvage some of the beauty we enjoy today, even though we have to be careful about what sort of fish we eat, and drink only Dasani water. I'd love to be able to fish in the Chicago River like I did twenty years ago and not wonder what chemical was eating holes in my jeans. Even twenty years ago, I was not brave enough to eat any fish I may have caught, the holes in my jeans were sexy, but the bronchitis I caught from tipping my kayak into the unsafe water stayed with me for a whole winter. It might be too late to save the funky squirrels and the poop-eating birds that Happy wrote about just this morning, it might be too late for me, and my pack a day habit on top of whatever chemical ate up my jeans, but we might be able to save Kayla the newest and cutest member of my family.

And then there is always plan B.

Christians always like to convert us sinners, so make friends with them. When the Rapture comes, grab onto their shoelaces, pantlegs, anything that will save you from facing a lifetime on a toxic planet. Float up to Heaven and sing gospel songs for the rest of eternity.

Or, there is plan C.

Wave goodbye to the Christians and then get to work. There might be something we can salvage.

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Where are the Democrats?
  • The Squirrel Poop Story and George Bush
  • Living in a Yes-Man World
  • Clueless
  • Or do you think FEMA is the exception to the rule?
  • Reaping the Whirlwind
  • Never having to say you're sorry
  • Post Script to Toxic Soup
  • What Would You Like in Your Toxic Soup?
  • And what about Iraq?

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com