Wednesday, August 08, 2007

NIghtmares

It's pretty hard to write after you've just eaten a lunch of Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, and Cornbread, but I'm going to try. Just kidding Vanessa, I had coffee for breakfast, and I haven't had lunch yet.

In our nation's capital today, the weather is stifling. If you've never experienced Washington in July or August, you're lucky, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't mind hot weather, but right now it's 100 degrees, and the heat index is 108. It's hard to breathe, I feel dehydrated all the time, and I can't ever remember being so uncomfortably warm. I worked outside in the yard until about 10:00, after that, it was too hot to do anything but surf the net. It's a little surreal, the searing heat. If I believed in that end of days crap, I would be convinced that the end is near.

I don't worry about religious myths when there are plenty of real life things that scare the hell out of me.

Anyway. I was surfing, and I came across this post at TPM that brought me out of my heat induced torpor and actually caused my head to jerk up a little when I read it. The post is written by Anne-Marie Slaughter, who is this staid academic, she's the Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, and this is the disturbing paragraph:
Here is my nightmare. The Cheneyites succeed in creating a situation in which Bush does decide to bomb Iran. Iran retaliates, as they openly threaten to do, with terrorist attacks against us on U.S. soil. That tilts the election. I can imagine a Karl Rove political calculation that would buttress a Cheney-Addington national security calculation, probably with Eliot Abrams' support.
And I'm thinking...damn gurl, your nightmare is my nightmare, and I don't know jack about foreign policy.

If smart people are worried about an un-provoked war with Iran, and actually saying it on the Internet, then maybe our worst nightmares have come true, and who is in a position to stop it?

Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes sounds pretty good right now.

posted at 5:10:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Casualties, counterinsurgency and the stab-in-the-...
  • Cordesman's latest on the Iraq War
  • Bush lies again about Iran
  • Mean People
  • Is the Pentagon Incompetent, or Corrupt?
  • Another blow to the Constitution
  • Links to videos from the Yearly Kos convention in ...
  • Fly like the Jetsons!
  • This land is your land
  • Happy Birthday Left I on the News

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com