Friday, September 23, 2005

Flotsam and Jetsam

In a few hours, my partner and I will be leaving for Washington, D.C. to take part in this historic weekend of national protest against the war in Iraq. We'll meet up with two fellow Blue Voicers from the East Coast, TankWoman and Neil Purcell, as well as members of the local peace vigil group here at the beach. We will report back to you on this event in the blog - Tank Woman even has a crazy idea about catching what we can on video and reporting (tape at eleven) on the demonstration as if we were CNN.

For those who criticize this event, who think that most Americans are still behind the president and approve of the war, I recommend reading this piece from today's Washington Post: Antiwar Rally Will Be a First for Many: Focused Message Draws Protesters of All Stripes. How anyone who caught any of GWB's speech last night could still possibly grant him any credibility is beyond my imagining. There are rumors that he is under so much stress that he is once again downing TX-size shots of whiskey. The main source for this is the National Enquirer, so make of it what you will. His performance last night convinced me that he was in some sort of altered condition, I do have to admit. I'm not really judging him, mind you, if I were in his position right now, I'd weigh 500 pounds and be perpetually stoned.

As I've been doing the Blue's News headlines this week, I haven't done much posting. I have been faithfully reading posts and comments though. TankWoman put a bee in many bonnets with her post Racist? Who Me? It drew a large number of comments, many of which go a long way towards illustrating just what the original post was talking about. All interested parties might want to read What Racism, Where? by Bradford Plumer in the MoJo Blog.

I offer one last reading suggestion from among the many things I've gone through this week looking for items of interest for the Blue's News column. From a site that is new to me, and whose political viewpoint I haven't quite figured out, Foreign Policy Magazine, the article is Dangerously Unique, by Moises Naim, the magazine's editor. This little piece gave me quite a lot to mull over. An interesting perspective on our position in the world.

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Just Politics?
  • Where do you stand?
  • Good and Bad in Massachusetts
  • The Christian Right: Catholic version
  • Let them hear our big blue voice!
  • Start the party, folks. Here we go again!!
  • Moral Values Revisited
  • Rita
  • Wanna Get My Picture on the Cover
  • Cronyism Survives Katrina

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com