Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Racist? Who Me?

If you ask any black person you know about what happened in NOLA, and if they think that the reason it happened had something to do with race, you will most likely get an affirmative response. Most black people I ask look at me like I'm stupid when I ask, like they're thinking "TAnkwoman, you already know the answer to that question, same as every person in America, what the hell are you even asking for?" That's what my friend Bridgette said to me when I asked her. When I ask white people the same question, they get angry and tell me I must be one of those crazy pinko liberals and ask me why I hate America.

I guess that by now you've all heard the story of the police blockades that kept those people from crossing the bridge to escape the flood waters and floating corpses. The good white folks down in Gretna, (not so glad I met ya) LA had stationed police on top of that bridge leading out of hell who actually shot at people trying to get out. The city council of that lovely little town even passed a resolution in support of the police chief who ordered the road block.

But they claim it has nothing to do with race.

Maybe the roots of rasicm run so deeply in America, that we barely even know that they're there. Maybe they fester like a cavity, decaying out of sight until the rot just under the surface becomes so painful that an incision must be made, and all of that foul stuff comes bubbling up to the surface.

I don't know. Does America need a root canal?

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Al-most Wanted
  • Let's get out of the hole!
  • Verde, Que Te Quiero Verde
  • VDH Watch 13: Vic sings the blues over New Orleans...
  • Success?
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
  • Time for Clinton to take a stand
  • Global Cooling, Personal Version
  • Arctic Action Day Redux
  • Spitting Nails

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com