Saturday, September 24, 2005

What's so Radical About Peace?


DSCF0093
Originally uploaded by takgurl365.
My partner A. gave me a short lecture this morning before I left for the Peace March. She reminded me that we were leaving for Italy on Wednesday, and if I were to be arrested on charges of spreading peace, I might not be able to leave the country before my court date. Not such a small issue, since we have been planning this trip for two years, and I have been dreaming of gelato and picci for a long time now, and if someone else eats my pasta, well...I won't be very happy. That pasta has my name on it.

Neil and Mary Beth and I set off determined not to become incarcerated today. I wondered as we walked to the subway, how peace had become such a crazy idea anyway. What is it about peace that disturbs people? Don't we all want it? Don't we all need it? Are we, the most powerful nation on the planet so afraid of a handful of extremists in bathrobes and shower caps, that we have to wage an all out blitz on a third world nation armed with outdated rifles and homemade explosive devices? I didn't want to get arrested and miss all of the good food I have planned for my vacation, and I certainly didn't want my partner A. to be pissed at me for all of eternity for getting thrown in jail and missing our time together.

When we got to the march, the little blue voices huddled among a group of harmless looking suburban women from CODE PINK. They were really the best looking women of the protest, and I have to admit that I voted loudly in favor of marching behind them. Marigolds seconded my motion and we stood behind these lovely pink women for like two hours before the march even began (can you tell that it was organized by a bunch of Democrats?) As luck would have it, a group of older women in bonnets marched up singing to the tune of "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "you can take this stupid war and stick it up your ass sir!" They were the Raging Grannies. How fortunate of me, an America hating, peace loving, liberal to become sandwiched between a group of suburban moms wearing pink, and bonneted elderly women singing American songs with lyrics for the current century.

Which one of us is the radical?

posted at 8:33:00 PM by Tankwoman

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Flotsam and Jetsam
  • Just Politics?
  • Where do you stand?
  • Good and Bad in Massachusetts
  • The Christian Right: Catholic version
  • Let them hear our big blue voice!
  • Start the party, folks. Here we go again!!
  • Moral Values Revisited
  • Rita
  • Wanna Get My Picture on the Cover

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com