Friday, October 13, 2006

Along the Jemez River

I've been thinking and writing lately about environmentalism and religion, and science and religion. Doing so has led me to thinking about my own stance on these matters. For me neither religion nor science enters into my reasons for identifying as an enviro. The picture on the left says everything there is to say about why I believe in the importance of the environmental movement. I took this picture Wednesday afternoon, on the road to Jemez Springs. It was a glorious autumn day, in a place of breath-taking beauty. My life has been hectic and sad for the past several months, and my partner and I have been taking this perfect October week to spend as much time as possible under the deep blue New Mexico sky, seeking out places to bird, hike, see the cottonwoods and aspens turning bright yellow. I love this planet earth, love to be part of a world with chamisa, cottonwood, a river full of trout singing down the mountain. I don't care how it got here, whether a divine being created it or it happened in a big bang and then went on evolving - it's home. And I want it to continue to be home for my grandchildren,nieces and nephews, and their grandchildren, for many generations. This is it, the reason I am an environmentalist. It's love, pure and simple.


| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • We Just Don't Want to Know
  • Army Plays Hide 'n Seek in Marijuana Jungle
  • And Now for Some GOOD News
  • An Interview with "Darwin's Rottweiler"
  • Iran War: The North Korean test and the state of ...
  • Maybe Cut and Run is the Only Option?
  • Iran War: Yikes! And yikes!
  • Does It Matter if God is Green?
  • American Distractions
  • Cheney's America

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com