Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Choose Your Weapon

I think I've been living inside the Beltway for too long. I've been listening to hateful Republicans compare my lifestyle to beastiality and for too long, I've been accused of endangering the sanctity of other people's marriages. I've felt hopeless and helpless to change the hateful direction in which the majority is leading the country.

Going home can sometimes change everything. Being around people who love you and accept you exactly as you are can feel like medicine for the heart and soul. I'm not speaking of my immediate family, but I'm speaking of my hometown of Chicago, and the powerful and thriving gay community I used to be a part of.

I flew home this weekend to march in Chicago's annual Gay Pride Parade. My travel plans were much delayed and disrupted by the weather, and some pieces that fell off the airplane, (fortunately, the pieces fell off before take-off, and will someone whack me upside the head the next time I buy a ticket on United Airlines?) but I made it home in time to ride on a float with my wonderful partner for life, and two of my favorite people in the universe, Gregg and Rick, also partners for life. As the parade started, the crowds began to cheer, they cheered for me, and I in turn cheered for them, and everyone, even the straight people who live on Hasted Street and came out for the best party of the year, cheered for the queens, and the twinks, the dykes and the poofs. They cheered the gurls in drag with fabulous hair and heels, they cheered the good looking young men in bathing suits. They cheered the Dykes on Bikes. Spanish families brought the children down to watch on folding chairs, all of the festivity reminding them of Carnival. The energy was exhilarating and life-affirming and when we came upon Fred Phelps and family, the hatred that they threw our way was so weak and pathetic, that it seemed to shrivel in the face of the love that my friends and my partner felt for each other and for our community.

The Republicans have chosen their weapons. It is now up to Americans to choose the weapon of honor and love. It is up to us to stand together against those who would divide us from each other, gay and straight, black and white, English speaking and not, haves and have nots. When we tolerate any kind of hatred or bigotry, we all lose a little ground, and if you think they won't come after you because you're not gay or black, think again. Those who fight with hatred will always need someone to hate, and who will they come for after the minorities are gone?

The hope for this nation doesn't come from Washington, it comes from cities like Chicago and New York. It won't come from Hillary Clinton or Russ Fiengold, it will come from Americans like you and I.

Come march in my parade. Wield the weapon of love and equality.

| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • Maybe We Should Call It Off This Year...
  • Change the Direction
  • Rush the pill-popper
  • Catching terrorists
  • Those Devilish Details
  • Joe Biden shoots Dark Lord Cheney in the face (rhe...
  • What, do we have a pro-war crimes lobby now?
  • Nailing terrorists, the Abu Gonzales Way
  • Global Warming Goes Mainstream
  • Soldiers home from Afghanistan

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com