Saturday, November 12, 2005

Putting Out Fire With Napalm

Okay, I didn't exactly plagarize Bowie, and of course, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

This weekend, I finally had to turn on the heat. The temperature got down into the forties overnight, and my niece Colleeny Beenie Weenie (that's what I called her when she was two, and it seems really hard to stop even though she's now 25. I sometimes shorten it to just Beenie) came to town for the weekend, and I figured that her Mom would not be pleased if she left my house hungry and with a runny nose. So I bought some orange juice, and bananas and cereal. I turned the thermostat all the way up to 68. My partner A hasn't minded the cold autumn chill in the house, she is on the verge of the change, and she always seems over-heated. The insulation that I put in the attic has made the house comfortable for sweaters and a blanket on the couch, and at night I fall into a dead sleep, so I don't even notice that my toes are freezing.

As the war drags on with no real signs of stability, I wonder whether we will be facing future winters waiting for the bus in the cold morning of declining oil supplies. Instead of warming up our vehicles in the driveway, will we even be able to afford to drive them? The war in Iraq seems to me to be creating more uncertainty and chaos in a region that the world depends on for more than just warmth and comfort in the winter. The oil supplies that are in extreme peril just now keep the world economy moving, without it, the transport of life's essentials will stop, things like food, medicine, all goods that we buy and sell, our very incomes depend on our ability to move products from one market to another.

To me, it seems like the fire in Iraq is spreading. You can see the sparks of violence in places like Jordon and Egypt, both victims of terrorist violence in the past several months. Real news out of Saudi Arabia is often scarce, but there have been incidents of violence there, and many speculate that the Kingdom is on shaky ground. Our occupation of Iraq, and our inept job of securing the country has had the effect of creating religious fundamentalism where before none existed. We have created an Islamic Republic in Iraq, when really we only wanted cheap oil. When you throw in a radicalized Iran, just look at the map of our most precious resource and do the math.

George Bush has pledged that we will not leave until the mission is complete. Just yesterday, he claimed that we will not surrender, we will not retreat. But before the middle East goes up in flames, I hope I can lay my hands on an electric vehicle. And maybe several space heaters?

It's really cold in February.


| +Save/Share | |




FEATURED QUOTE

"It is the logic of our times
No subject for immortal verse
That we who lived by honest dreams
Defend the bad against the worse."


-- Cecil Day-Lewis from Where Are The War Poets?


ABOUT US

  • What is the Blue Voice?
  • Bruce Miller
  • Fdtate
  • Marcia Ellen (on hiatus)
  • Marigolds2
  • Neil
  • Tankwoman
  • Wonky Muse

  • RECENT POSTS

  • The Big Liar
  • Taking the low road on Veteran's Day
  • No Honor
  • Impeach the Liar
  • I regret every harsh thing I ever said about Jimmy...
  • Do you want Pat and his Buddies Running This Country?
  • Rejecting God Can Get You Smited!
  • On The Question of Torture
  • New Weapons in the War On Terror
  • Intelligent Falling Theory

  • ARCHIVES




    RECENT COMMENTS

    [Tip: Point cursor to any comment to see title of post being discussed.]
    SEARCH THIS SITE
    Google
    www TBV

    BLUE'S NEWS





    ACT BLUE











    BLUE LINKS

    Environmental Links
    Gay/Lesbian Links
    News & Media Links
    Organization Links
    Political Links
    Religious Links
    Watchdog Links

    BLUE ROLL


    MISCELLANEOUS

    Atom/XML Feed
    Blogarama - Blog Directory
    Blogwise - blog directory

    Blogstreet
    Haloscan


    Blogger

    hits since 06-13-2005

    site design: wonky muse
    image: fpsoftlab.com